Henri Blanc was born in Neuchâtel (Switzerland) in 1873. He was the son of the watchmaker Sylvain Blanc who moved to Geneva around 1886. Henri attended the Geneva watchmaking school from 1889 to 1894. In 1894, Henri Blanc opened a watch shop in Geneva. The company was located at 37 Rue du Rhone.
Henri Blanc initially specialized in clocks and looked after the city's pendulum clocks, his good name making him responsible for the maintenance of the city's clocks. He was also involved in the renovation of the bells of the Saint-Pierre cathedral. After the First World War, he entered the world of wristwatches.
Even though set in a 32mm case, this watch look and wears both on and off the wrist, much larger. This Henri Blanc oozes vintage character with its deliciously two-tone chocolate dial and beautiful freckling of pumpkin patina, giving the illusion of a slight pie pan adding a rich depth and bucket loads of charm.
The applied radium Arabic numerals are in remarkable condition as are the elegant pencil hands with lume intact, a rather magnificent feat given the age of the watch.
This would make a beautiful vintage dress for that special occasion, or indeed even a tool watch to be worn on a daily basis. The delightful scripted signature at 12 o'clock, the ornate chapter ring with 5-second markers, the needle-like seconds hand, and of course, the tantalising tropicalisation, come together in a watch ameliorated by time.
The watch keeps excellent time having been fully inspected, cleaned, and serviced by our most trusted watchmaker. The nickel-chrome plated case has also been ultrasonically cleaned (NOT polished!) to remove rubbed in dirt and grease etc.
In conclusion, this watch is the 'Toffee Penny' of the chocolate box, and whoever acquires it will treasure it for years to come.